While Work for Impact takes a number of steps to ensure only qualified and skilled freelancers can use our platform, it's still up to clients to choose the freelancer that's best suited to their project.
Here are a few tips you can use to make sure you always hire the right freelancer:
Create a Strong Job Post
A well-written and descriptive job post will help you attract quality freelancers to your project. When writing your job post, make sure to include the following information:
- A Clear and Relevant Title: Your title is the first impression a freelancer will have of your job. Keep it short and to the point. The best strategy is to identify what type of freelancer you’re looking for and the task you’d like them to complete and include those in the title.
- A Description of Your Job or Project: This is where you can really expand on what your project is and the specific tasks you’d like the freelancer to help you with. Include expected timelines, examples of similar projects, and any other relevant information.
- Required Skills: List all the skills that will be required to complete the project. Include as many as possible and be specific. This will help you receive more qualified applications.
- Follow-Up Questions: It’s also a good idea to ask applicants to answer a few relevant questions. For example, you can ask them if they’ve dealt with similar projects in the past, how they would approach your job, and any other questions that will help you determine whether they’re a good fit.
Click here to learn how to post a job on Work for Impact.
Search for Freelancers and Invite them to Your Job
While many qualified freelancers will apply for your job on their own, you can also search for freelancers who have the skills you're looking for and invite them to send a proposal for your job. This is a great way to ensure that the freelancers you're most interested in see your job post.
Click here to learn how to search for freelancers on Work for Impact.
Make a Shortlist of Potential Candidates
Once you've received some proposals for your project it's time to start reviewing all of the applicants and making a shortlist of the most qualified freelancers. Here are a few things to look for when creating your shortlist:
- Skills and Experience: Do they have the proper skills and experience necessary to complete the job?
- Rate: Does their rate fit with your budget?
- Reviews and Ratings: Read the reviews left by their previous clients. Did they successfully complete their past projects? You can also look at their freelancer rating to get an idea of their overall performance.
- Portfolio: Finally, have a look at their portfolio. Have they worked on similar projects in the past?
Review every proposal and select the 3-5 candidates with the most potential.
Interview Your Candidates
Once you have a shortlist of candidates it's a good idea to interview them before making your final decision. Work for Impact has a video call feature built in to the platform that will allow you to chat with potential freelancers. This will allow you to ask them a few more questions and give you a better idea of whether they're suited for your project.
In addition to learning more about their skills and experience, make sure to take the time to get to know them a bit and get a sense of their personality. This will help you gauge whether they'll fit in with the rest of your team and organization.
Hire Your Freelancer and Provide Clear Expectations
Once you've found the right freelancer for your job your work isn't over. You'll also want to make sure you provide your freelancer with clear expectations and instructions to ensure a smooth working relationship.
Start by outlining the specific tasks that need to be completed and the timeframe in which they need to be submitted by. Providing your freelancer with any relevant documents, links, videos, and other resources will help them better understand exactly what you’re looking for.
Finally, if your freelancer will be dealing with any confidential or sensitive information, make sure they understand how that information should be handled before they begin working. Keep in mind that our Terms for Service provide clients some protection against the misuse of sensitive information. You may also ask your freelancers to sign an NDA if you would like additional legal protection.